|Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts|
Framed 1896 Exhibition Poster
The Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts- Frances Macdonald, Margaret Macdonald and James Herbert McNair. Published in 1896 for the Exhibition.
The original poster was 94" x 40", so large it had to be printed in 4 sections.
Originals are extremely scarce, one is in the collection of The Museum of Modern Art in New York. Originals can fetch over $100,000 at auction.
This remastered poster by Russ Billington (shown right doodling as usual) is printed in a choice of two sizes on canvas using the museum quality giclee printing process.
An example of the poster detail is shown here:
Left: the 3 designers names center left on the poster: Herbert McNair, Margaret Macdonald and Frances Macdonald.
Right: illustrating the elegantly elongated forms typical of the Glasgow School.
Charles Rennie Mackintosh joined the group in October 1896 and collaboratively produced this work and a few others (very few), as an early diversion into the recent medium of lithography.
Together they exhibited at 'The Fifth Arts and Crafts Exhibition' in London. As of then they became known as 'The Four', they were also labelled by some critics as 'The Spook School'.
Margaret Macdonald married Charles Rennie Mackintosh in 1900 and became devoted to each other. Mackintosh would sign drawings 'CRM-MMM'.
Margaret's sister, Frances, was married to Herbert McNair.
The poster is mounted on a foam backing and framed by Dard Hunter Studios using the simple Oak Park frame finished black.